Saturday, March 31, 2018

Change is good.

Change is terrifying isn't it?  It is so much easier to go with the comfortable flow of mundanity right?  Well, I beg to differ. Over the years I have come to realize that one moment of insane courage to bring about a change in your life can result in what can be a hugely rewarding experience later.

A few years back, I remember persisting in a course I wasn't meant for. I waited until things got better but it never did. I had unquestionable faith in my abilities, that i'd pick myself up and triumph. But somethings are just beyond you and the sooner you accept that, the more peace you will have.

Another reason I persisted in the course was because of my friends. Switching streams meant going to an entirely unfamiliar environment and the effort of making new friends was just too much.  Me who was increasingly coiling into a shell at that point wasn't emotionally ready for it. I wanted that illusionary comfort of familiarity.

But, by the end of two years and countless brickbats later, I had enough and I dropped the course for good. I faced exactly what I feared all the while. CHANGE! 

But, surprise! surprise!
My fear of not making new friends was replaced by the reality of me making one of the most amazing friendships of my life at that place.

She turned out to be my guardian angel, someone who lifted me up from the throngs of depression. Her presence reassured me but at the same time, her absence( she was away for 6 months)  empowered me to realize that I am enough and I can very well be self sufficient.

Cut to my current college. Again, this was  very new. But I was not as fearful.  But again, in that small crowd of 10, I found my person. We aren't the typical clingy friends, we are the mature independent damsels who have a lot in common and therefore click.

So the point is that, follow your heart. Every moment of staying somewhere you don't belong to, is a total waste. So leave as soon as you have that realization.

Second, you are going to find your tribe wherever you go.  There will always be that person, who will make life a little more easier. So don't give up on your calling because it means losing someone or something familiar. You never know who you might find on your new road.

Third, be self sufficient. Don't be over- clingy. Have your own life, do your own thing and don't depend on anyone for satisfying your needs. Learn to be happy alone and that is how you have mature, healthy relationships.

Love,
Harsha 💋

No comments:

Post a Comment

A World Free From the Throngs of Patriarchy

‘’In a world that is accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression’’ - Franklin Leonard We all know that our society is deeply ent...